Wednesday, August 19, 2015

CSE Preparation: Preparation Strategy for Civil Services Examination by Anuraag Jayanti (AIR 55 CSE 2014)

Anuraag Jayanti (AIR 55 CSE 2014) shares his tips on preparing for the Civil Services Examination in general and Sociology optional below:





I would like to start by saying that a preparation strategy adopted by one might not suit somebody else. I would rather try to talk about various dos and don’ts in various areas of syllabus. But ultimately it lies in the judgement of an individual to make a preparation strategy which suits his/her nature, time and resources.

GS

  • Keep similar preparation pattern for prelims and mains
  • But while preparing for mains we are allowed to forget a few factual details, which prelims sometimes does not allow unfortunately
  • Prepare for Mains from an analytical point of view
  • For example let us take the recent earthquake which happened in Nepal. We can start with a few questions. 


While preparing for this particular area one could ask the following questions-

  • What is the cause of earthquakes? Types of earthquakes, which zones are prone to more earthquakes ?etc
  • What factors contributed to the increase in vulnerability of Nepal? What could have been done to reduce such vulnerability? Are any traditional techniques available which reduce such vulnerabilities? etc
  • Does experience of some other country help us in such situations(Japan)?, how can we learn from their experience? etc
  • Which areas in India are prone to earthquakes? What are the associated risk factors which increase the vulnerability of such areas? etc.

So while preparing from any source the candidate would be advised to ensure that he/she must become aware of the answers to such questions. This approach will prove beneficial for interview preparation as well.

·    Regarding the books which I had referred to and the sources I had relied on, I have given full information on mrunal.org

·    For those who are comfortable enough, I would advise them to utilize internet as resource for preparation to the utmost. I relied heavily on the net. Starting from newspaper ranging to magazines like frontline I found making notes from the web easier. Websites like mrunal and the daily questions from the newspapers which are uploaded on insightsonindia website are among the must read sources. Similarly one can watch videos from Rajya Sabha Tv to enrich one’s range of information. Programmes like ‘The Big Picture’ can be watched to know the diverse viewpoints regarding any issue.

·         Make complete use of government websites like Make in India etc.

·      It is important to take notice of the inter connections between different topics. For example India’s energy security (paper 3) is connected with the foreign policy pursued by India(paper 2) as well as the geography of the region(paper 1). 

·       Practise answer writing as much as possible. Essays should also be practised. Unfortunately I did not lay enough stress upon the latter aspect. In my first attempt I did not join any test series. But having left nearly 180 marks in my first attempt due to shortage of time, I did not take any chances in this aspect in my second attempt. Moreover taking a test series will ensure consistency in your preparation.
·     All the GS papers have numerous topics listed under their syllabus. So it is quite possible that we inadvertently miss certain areas of the preparation. So keep checking whether one’s preparation is according to the syllabus or not
.
·         Keep a balance between the dynamic as well as static aspects of preparation.

·        Make study plans and try to stick to them as much as possible. Make a chart and keep ticking off the items which you have studied. I used to make daily, weekly as well as monthly plans. This helps one in keeping an eye over oneself and to evaluate one’s progress. I used to divide my day into parts and devoted different subject in each part of the day. But taking a break during the weekends was a must for me and during such days I read less compared to the other days. Reading books on Mahatma Gandhi helped me to build up confidence.

·      A building cannot be constructed unless its foundation is strong. Similarly behind every successful aspirant’s preparation lies the base of multiple revisions. I had particular problem in remembering the various facts of world history. Thankfully I was able to overcome this problem by going through the same NCERT book multiple times. Making notes would also help one while revising. If time doesn’t allow making notes, I would advise the candidates to at least underline the main points which can then be revised in the last moment. So while making plans, I allotted specific time for revision at regular intervals, because without proper revision it is difficult to retain everything one reads.

·      Writing answers – while the question paper demands us to be quick enough to finish it within three hours, two key points need to be kept in mind –
Speed is the child of knowledge. If one is well aware of the topic asked in the question, one will not need much time in framing the answer.

The purpose of legibility as well as quickness will be better served by writing answers in a point-wise format wherever possible.

·         ETHICS ANSWER WRITING

  • Instead of giving simply personal views try to incorporate the views of famous thinkers to strengthen your argument.
  • Divide each answer into different sections. For example , I used headings like ‘the facts given’, ‘the available courses of action’, ‘evaluation of each course of action’, ‘conclusion’
  • In the sections mentioned above I used to write answers in a point-wise format
  • Use quotes of famous personalities relevant to the topic.
  • Be moderate in your views. The answer should show you as a person possessing positive and optimistic personality.
  • Try to give appropriate examples while writing answers. For example, a question was asked what patriotism meant in day-to-day life. There are no readymade answers to such questions. With a clear mind one should think and answer such questions. In reality patriotism doesn’t only mean laying down lives in a battlefield. Patriotism is reflected in the acts of every individual for whom national interest is sacrosanct, whether he be a cobbler, carpenter, mason, farmer, engineer etc. They all help in the nation building process. It is expressed in a range of acts beginning with maintaining public sanitation to scientists trying to develop crop varieties suitable for different agro climatic zones.
  • In some  questions like - explain the statement that human beings should be treated as ends and never as means, one should begin one’s answer giving the views of thinkers like Kant and while proceeding further cite appropriate examples from the modern scenario e.g. unethical clinical trials, terrorists taking away the lives of innocent civilians etc.
  • Try to think out of the box in questions like innovative solutions to improve women safety. Answer such questions both from the short term as well as long term perspective.


·        Most important mantra for success is to develop humility enough to realise that one cannot know every possible detail about every topic mentioned in the syllabus. Sometimes, inspite of the candidate’s sincere efforts things seem to be getting out of hand. But it is advisable in such situations not to lose faith in oneself. Surely confidence in your capacity is a prerequisite for success in any field. Keep on preparing never letting a single negative thought enter your mind. To fear is to lose. 

It is important to remember that this exam requires not only IQ but also EQ. It is in our hands whether we use our emotions for our benefit or not. Failures and setbacks should spur us to work even harder. One should always remember these words of Gandhiji– “satisfaction lies in the effort, not in the attainment. Full effort is victory”. Whenever I saw persons who were not as lucky as I was in getting various resources for preparation I used to thank God for it and continued my preparation with rejuvenated vigour.

SOCIOLOGY

While I was going through the syllabus of different optional subjects, I found the syllabus of sociology very interesting. It involves topics which we come across everyday in our lives. I went through the question papers which made me sure regarding which optional to take. Moreover knowledge of the society in which we live will help one in the better performance of one’s work in the administration of the country.

Source materials which I had relied upon –
  • Mahapatra sir’s notes- revise it as many times as possible ( one can make a short notes of this if one needs)
  • Haralomboss –old and large one – a very useful book which can be read selectively to cover topics like stratification, gender , religion, power.
  • Vajiram material – for areas where one finds oneself weak
  • IGNOU BA material – for thinkers
  • Paper 2 –
  • Mahapatra sir’s notes
  • Vajiram material – volume 4 and volume 5 are extremely useful
  • IGNOU BA material – only for selective reading.

·      Be thorough with the thinkers chapter (in both paper 1 and paper 2). The significance of this chapter is that the views expressed by these thinkers can be used in a different variety of questions ranging from power to study of family, religion etc.

·        It’s very important to understand the meaning and significance of various theories and concepts. Try applying them to real life scenarios and then it will be easy for you to appreciate the positive and negative aspects of a theory. For example, let us take Durkheim’s views on religion. How relevant are they in explaining religion as it exists today Or Has science replaced religion as anticipated by evolutionary thinkers. If not, what is the reason behind it?

We will find that a significant portion of sociology preparation can be done with ease if we adopt a questioning attitude towards day-to-day happenings in our society. In this manner we would be involuntarily preparing for sociology all through the day. For example if we see an article in newspaper talking about upper caste people burning down the houses of a few underprivileged castes in some remote village, our thoughts should centre on how we can explain such a phenomenon. Is the search for equality by the subaltern creating insecurity in the established dominant class? In a similar manner we can enlarge the scope of our sociology preparation by seeing different news items through the lens of sociological theories and concepts.

INTERVIEW  - Retd Vice Admiral DK Dewan board

- Enter your bio-data details with care. One should be completely honest while entering those details. One’s interview is mostly derived from the bio-data submitted before mains exam. And the interview is a process by which UPSC endeavours to know about the thought process and personality of a candidate. So one would do well to be as honest as possible because it is not knowledge which fetch marks in an interview, rather clarity in thinking which helps one to cross the last hurdle i.e. personality test.
- I had read the following details regarding the states where I had stayed or am currently staying – basic history, geographical features, different sectors of the state’s economy- primary, secondary and tertiary, current socio-economic scenario of the state( most important of them all), recent governmental initiatives, famous personalities, tourist places etc.
- One needs to be thorough with the basics of one’s graduation subject. This area should be prepared in an application oriented perspective. The board would not be interested much in the theoretical details of the subject. Rather they would be interested in the practical aspects of how one would use that knowledge in solving the country’s problems.  I viewed the video lectures posted on the NPTEL website about my graduation subject.
- I attended four mock interviews. I felt that they were quite useful for one’s preparation. Quite often it happens that we miss some important areas from our biodata while preparing or we miss seeing how a question can be asked from a particular area in the main interview. Having said that, it is not absolutely indispensable for those who are by reasons of distance or financial problem unable to take any such mock interviews. However they can form a group of aspirants and take mock interviews amongst themselves which would also help.
- My interview was mostly centered on my graduation subject, hobbies and some polity and international affairs related questions
- Prepare a set of questions which can be asked from your biodata and frame answers to such questions in your mind beforehand. This would enable you to answer with confidence

INTERVIEW EXPERIENCE

It was nearly 3:55 PM. I was the fourth member to be called from my table consisting of 6 persons. I had used the time gap available to brush up that day’s events from the newspaper lying on the table.
Finally the call came. I prayed to God to be with me during my interview. I entered the interview room. I could see the smiling faces of the board members. I wished them good afternoon and the chairman asked me to take a seat.

While I was just sitting the chairman asked a question what my roll number was. I answered it. Then he asked ,“why do your eyes look red?” This was a question which I didn’t expect at that point. I replied that I hadn’t slept properly the previous night. This reply was followed by questions regarding where I was staying and where my father works in etc.
 
Then looking into the biodata he asked, “ In your hobbies section it is mentioned that you like reading books on Mahatma Gandhi . Why do you like reading his books?” I answered that his honesty had attracted me which was later on nurtured by his insistence on following ethics in every field of action. He continued,“ Tell me who are the two internationally famous followers of Gandhi?” My answer was Martin Luther King and Nelson Mandela. He further asked how Martin Luther King had died and his famous speech which I was able to answer partly. The chairman continued asking some more questions on Gandhi like,“what was the immediate reaction of Nehru when he received the news of Gandhi’s assassination?” I answered that I knew about the speech which he had made then. The chairman asked me what it was. I replied-“the light has gone out of our lives…” The chairman seemed pleased. I was asked a few questions regarding  pivot to Asia policy, number of members of Nato ( to this question I said “sorry ,I don’t remember sir”), who were the member countries of nato, what was the motive behind pivot to Asia etc. He again switched back to my hobby and asked me questions like who had called Gandhi a one man army, what was the context in which Mountbatten had called him so, how Gandhi tried to stop the riots in Calcutta etc

Then the sole lady member of the panel took over. She was looking a little serious. I prayed silently. She asked me what I knew about  fibre optics and phototronics. I answered. This was followed by questions on karate which I had mentioned in my extracurricular activities section. She asked what was the difference between karate, judo and kungfu. Unfortunately I was not able to answer this question. Moving ahead, noticing that I had mentioned Sanskrit as a subject in my intermediate, she asked me “what is the message given by Bhagavad Gita?” This was followed by “do you think B.Gita’s message is relevant for modern times?” I answered that Gita espouses the philosophy of self less action and it has even greater relevance in modern era. She then asked me some factual questions regarding quit India movement, purna swaraj declaration etc. All the while I tried to keep eye contact not only with her but also with each and every member of the board. I could see that the chairman was listening to her questions and my replies attentively, often interrupting and asking a few additional details himself. Then she asked “which Indian martial art you know?”. I answered “kalaripayattu”. She continued “do you pursue cycling for relaxation or as a sport?” I answered “for relaxation, madam.”
Lady member ,“why are so many students from your state Andhra migrating abroad?” I answered that better educational and research opportunities as well as economic returns are attracting students to foreign shores which is a phenomenon being witnessed across the country. She asked how the students were being able to afford studies abroad. I replied,“By taking educational loans”. The chairman then asked which movie was recently made on this issue. I replied that I didnt know. He then jovially said “you don’t seem to be the type who watches movies.” I wondered in my mind whether it was being thought of as a positive or a negative thing. I smilingly replied that I was selective in watching movies.

The next member took over.

He asked me polity related questions like – “Where do you go to enforce your fundamental rights?” “ Can you go to any other court other than High courts and Supreme courts?” “ How many writs are there and what are they? Tell me in detail” “ what is the meaning of the word Habeas Corpus?”

He continued-“ Who is the present election commissioner?” “ Explain the setup of EC?” “Who conducts elections in a state?” “ Who is the officer who oversees elections in a state?” “ How can one enforce accountability of officers entrusted with election related duties?” etc. 

All of a sudden he asked me a mathematical question. I asked whether I could use a paper and solved it. He then asked some more questions relating to Gandhiji and electrical engineering.

The chairman took over. He asked me questions related to Gandhiji like – “what was the statement which Gandhi made in England before he went to meet the king?” I answered “Gandhiji had said that the king had worn clothes enough for both of them.” The chairman said,“ This was after the meeting, what did he say prior to going?” I answered “ Gandhiji had said that he was going to UK as a representative of poor millions of India. So he could dress only as one of them.” This was followed by questions like “who called Gandhi a half naked fakir and why?” I answered. The chairman was smiling all through the interview which gave me a great sense of relief.
The fourth member started his round of questions –
“What books did you read on Gandhi?”
“Tell me what these are- off grid, micro grid and smart grid?”
“Recently due to cyclone Hudhud the electricity poles were uprooted. How can you prevent such events from happening?”
“How can smart grid help in such cases?” etc.
Finally the last member’s turn came.
He asked “what was the voltage limit for wires which can be laid underground?”
I answered, “Sorry sir, I don’t remember ”
Then he asked,“Tell me what is the amount of T&D losses in electricity sector in India?”
“What are the reasons behind it and how to rectify them?” I tried to tell as many points as possible as I had framed an answer for this question beforehand in my mind.  Interrupting my answer midway he asked,“Shouldn’t  we increase the number of substations?” I said,“To reduce T&D losses it is more important to relocate the substations than increasing the number of them.” And then I explained why it was so by giving example of a certain locality.
The member asked me a chain of questions,“When is Pravasi Bharatiya Divas celebrated?” “On which date?” “Why was this date chosen?” “What is the significance of this day?” “Where was this year’s event held?” “Which new building was inaugurated then?”
This was followed by a set of questions on Dandi March. Finally I reached the last question of my interview – “ Define power factor”.
After this the chairman said, “Thank you, you may leave now.”
After thanking them I left the room. Coming out of the room I felt my interview wasn’t as I had expected. I had expected lots of questions on state related topics and current affairs. So in retrospection, I can say that one should be thorough with whatever one mentions in his biodata before one faces the interview board.


There is a divine law which governs human actions. Hard work always pays off. Always stick to this one philosophy. God always blesses honest effort. Never give up. Keep your parents’ image always before your eyes. Work hard to see the day when they will be exceedingly happy with your result. Keep checking yourself. Make plans and stick to them. Keep up consistency in your preparation. It is the single biggest thing required during preparation.

ALL THE BEST !!

For more such articles and videos subscribe to the Unacademy YouTube channel and folloDr. Roman Saini on Facebook.
The PDF files of Unacademy videos can be downloaded from the following link:
Unacademy (Instamojo)



8 comments:

  1. Hi Anuraag,

    Thanks for wonderful article.
    Wish you all the very best for your future endeavors!!!!

    Thanks,
    Swaroop

    ReplyDelete
  2. mind blowing.....what a good narration!!
    i learnt lot of stuff.
    thank you BOSS!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. anuraag jayanti sir is great and pure soul being it reflects from the fact that he mentioned hard work always pays, he has been very true to thier expressions. i hav drawn inspiration fm his efforts because i can connect myself with his rational veiws.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing your experience with us.

    ReplyDelete
  5. thank u very much Anurag sir....provided a great information

    ReplyDelete
  6. I want help of any body ..... To the idea of many confuson

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanku so much. I have one question about sociology.should I start the prep of sociology by first reading NCERT' s of class 11th and 12th.

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts